The following abstracts were presented at the podium for the 24th AAHKS Annual Meeting from November 6-9, 2014 at the Dallas Sheraton Hotel in Dallas, Texas, USA. Click here to download the entire Final Program Book.
James A. Rand Award
Lawrence D. Dorr Award
Core Decompression with Autogenous Bone Marrow Stem Cells for the Treatment of the Femoral Head Osteonecrosis. Reza Mostafavi Tabatabaee, MD, et al.
AAHKS Clinical Research Award
Can the American College of Surgeons Risk Calculator Predict 30-day Complications after Knee and Hip Arthroplasty? Adam I. Edelstein, MD, et al.
Abstracts in Numeric Order
- Does Bariatric Surgery Reduce Postoperative ComplicationsFollowing Total Knee Arthroplasty? Brian C. Werner, MD, et al.
- Does Extended-release Liposomal Bupivacaine Better Control Postoperative Knee Pain than Bupivacaine? William C. Schroer, MD, et al.
- Tourniquet use during TKA and Its Effect on Recovery of Quadriceps Strength and Lower Extremity Function: A Randomized, Double-blind, Control Trial. Douglas A. Dennis, MD, et al
- Perioperative Complications in Patients with Inflammatory Arthropathy Undergoing Total Knee Replacement. Erik A. Schnaser, MD, et al.
- Custom Cutting Guides do not Improve Total Knee Arthroplasty Outcomes at 2 Year Follow-up. Denis Nam, MD, et al.
- Does Computer Navigation Improve Functional Outcomes after Total Knee Replacement? Simon W. Young, MD, FRACS, et al.
- To Cement or Not? Prospective, Randomized Study Comparing Cemented vs. Cementless Total Knee Arthroplasty. Kevin B. Fricka, MD, et al.
- Does Medicare 3-day Rule Increase Length of Stay? Fabio Orozco, MD, et al.
- Morbid Obesity: A Significant Risk Factor for Failure following Aseptic Revision TKA. Chad D. Watts, MD, et al.
- Factors Associated with 20-year Cumulative Risk of Infection after Aseptic Index Revision TKA. O. Brant Nikolaus, MD, et al.
- Tibial Stems in Revision Total Knee Arthoplasty: Is There an Anatomic Conflict? Mohamed S. Gobba, MD, et al.
- Antibiotic Cement Decreases Re-Revision Risk by 45% in 1,154 Aseptic Revision Total Knee Arthroplasties. Stefano A. Bini, MD, et al.
- The Use of Trabecular Metal Cones in Complex Primary and Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty. Nicholas M. Brown, MD, et al.
- Varus-Valgus Constrained Knee Implants: Survivorship and Outcomes. Wael K. Barsoum, MD, et al.
- Does Neuraxial Anesthesia Decrease the Rate of Postoperative Complications and Blood Transfusions? An Analysis of 29,452 Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty. Bryan D. Haughom, MD, et al.
- Reliability of Ceramic Heads in over 5.7 Million Hip Replacements. Gwo-Chin Lee, MD, et al.
- No Differences in Patient Function Six Weeks after Direct Anterior or Posterior THA: A Randomized Study. Cale Jacobs, PhD and Christian P. Christensen, MD.
- 5 Year RSA Evaluation of Vitamin E Infused Polyethylene Wear and Stability of Acetabular and Femoral Components. Charles R. Bragdon, PhD, et al.
- 5 Year Long-Term Multicenter Outcomes with Vitamin E Polyethylene Liners and Porous-Titanium Coated Shells. Roger H. Emerson, Jr., MD, et al.
- Delta Ceramic on Ceramic THA – Midterm Results. William G. Hamilton, MD, et al.
- Titanium Alloy Sleeves do not Prevent Fretting Corrosion in Modular THA. Daniel W. MacDonald, MS, et al.
- Diagnosis and Management of Adverse Local Tissue Reactions Secondary to Corrosion at the Head-Neck Junction in Patients with Metal on Polyethylene Bearings. Darren R. Plummer, MBA, BBA, et al.
- Will New Metal Heads Restore the Mechanical Integrity of Corroded Trunnions at Revision THR? Aditya M. Derasari, MD, et al.
- What safe-zone? The Majority of 224 Dislocated THA were within the Lewinnek Zone. Matthew P. Abdel, MD, et al.
- The Cumulative Risk of Re-dislocation After Revision THA Performed for Instability Increases to Close to 35% at 15 Years. Suenghwan Jo, MD, PhD, et al.
- 20-Year Results of Uncemented Jumbo Cups for Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty. Philipp von Roth, MD, et al.
- Delaying Reimplantation following Resection Arthroplasty Does Not Improve Subsequent Outcome. Javad Parvizi, MD, FRCS, et al.
- Alpha-defensin Accuracy to Diagnose Periprosthetic Joint Infection – Best Available Test? Salvatore J. Frangiamore, MD, et al.
- Chronic Suppression with Oral Antibiotics Increases Infection-Free Survivorship in Periprosthetic Joint Infections. Marcelo B. Siqueira, MD, et al.
- The Incidence of and Risk Factors for 30-day Surgical Site Infections following Primary and Revision Total Joint Arthroplasty. John J. Callaghan, MD, et al.
- Diagnosing Infection in the Setting of Periprosthetic Fractures. Roshan P. Shah, MD, et al.
- Premature Antibiotic Treatment can Potentially Compromise the Diagnosis of PJI. Ali Sina Shahi, MD, et al.
- Clinical Outcomes of Hip Arthroscopy with Microfracture: A Matched-pair Controlled Study with Minimum 2-year Follow-up. Benjamin G. Domb, MD, et al.
- Differential Impact of Corticosteroids on Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Cody C. Wyles, BS, et al.
- Cartilage Status at Time of Hip Arthroscopy Predicts Failure in Patients with Hip Dysplasia. Joseph C. McCarthy, MD, et al.
- Intermediate Term Results of the Bernese Periacetabular Osteotomy for the Treatment of Acetabular Dysplasia. Stephen T. Duncan, MD, et al.
- Graduates of Joint Reconstruction Fellowship Training Programs are Increasingly Subspecialized. Patrick K. Horst, MD
- Cam Type Femoroacetabular Impingement Associated with Marker for Hyperandrogenism in Women. Andrew B. Wolff, MD, et al.
- Administrative Data be used to Analyze Complications following Total Joint Arthroplasty? Can Andrew J. Clair, BA, et al.
- What Incentives are Created by Medicare Payments for Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty? Michael M. Kheir, BS, et al.
- Prophylaxis Against Venous Thromboembolism Results in Lower Incidence of Periprosthetic Joint Infection. James J. Purtill, MD, et al.
- Drivers of Total Knee and Total Hip Arthroplasty Implant Purchase Prices. Kevin J. Bozic, MD, MBA, et al.
- Direct Costs of Aspirin Versus Coumadin for Venous Thromboembolism Prophylaxis. Christina J. Gutowski, MD, MPH, et al.
- Are Financial Conflicts of Interest for the Surgeon a Source of Concern for the Patient? Paul H. Yi, MD, et al.
- Manipulation under Anesthesia after Total Knee Arthroplasty: Incidence, Risk Factors and Revision Surgery. ames A. Browne, MD, et al.
- Complications of Obesity in Total Joint Arthroplasty: Risk Stratification Based on BMI. Derek T. Ward, MD, et al.
- Periprosthetic Joint Infection after Primary THA or TKA in Patients with a History of Prior PJI. Hany S. Bedair, MD, et al.
- Does Surgical Approach in Total Hip Arthroplasty Influence Socket Position and Limb Length Discrepancy? A Comparison of the Anterior, Lateral, and Posterior Approaches. James I. Huddleston, MD, et al.
- Adverse Reactions to Metal-on-Metal are not Exclusive to Large Heads in Total Hip Arthroplasty. Adolph V. Lombardi, Jr., MD, FACS, et al.
- Total Joint Arthroplasty in Patients with Chronic Renal Disease: Is It Worth the Risk? Lucian C. Warth, MD, et al.
- Heritable Predisposition for the Need to Undergo Total Hip Arthroplasty. Christopher E. Pelt, MD, et al.
- Cobalt to Chromium Ratio is Not a Key Marker for Adverse Local Tissue Reaction in Metal on Metal Hips. Thomas K. Fehring, MD, et al.
- Accuracy of Fluoroscopic Guided Acetabular Component Positioning during Direct Anterior Total Hip Arthroplasty. Eric M. Slotkin, DO, et al.
- Bacterial Suture Adherence and Biofilm Formation in an in-Vivo Contaminated Wound Model. David C. Markel, MD, et al.
- Trends of Synovial Fluid Cytokines in Non-arthritic, Arthritic and Painful Hip and Knee Arthroplasty. Carlos A. Higuera, MD, et al.
- Antibacterial and Biocompatible Titanium-copper-oxide Nanofilm Coating. German A. Norambuena, MD, et al.